Yale-NUS College is seeking a Laboratory Manager for the management of the day-to-day operations of its laboratories.
The Laboratory Manager will be responsible for providing support for both teaching and research activities. The Laboratory Manager is primarily responsible for ensuring the safety and sustainability of the laboratories, providing laboratory supervision and teaching of hands-on techniques to undergraduate students with the aim of developing practical research skills especially in the areas of molecular biology and marine life. The Laboratory Manager will be given the opportunity to carry out independent research under the supervision of the PIs.
The duties include:
- Maintaining and operating aquatic life laboratories
- Facilitating purchase of materials and supplies for the research laboratories
- Maintaining records and compliance with legal requirements and enforcement of safety rules
- Providing general laboratory safety instructions and supervision to research students
- Being present at all times when undergraduates are doing research in the laboratory – especially in the absence of faculty
- Providing routine support for undergraduate research, including troubleshooting and preparation and maintenance of reagent and stocks
- Being engaged in teaching of standard laboratory techniques and good scientific working practices to undergraduates
- Training and leading undergraduates on safety protocols and experimental techniques in their research projects
- Conducting experiments that involve molecular biology, microscopy, analysis and reporting of results in a format appropriate for peer-reviewed journal articles
- Performing technical and experimental protocols that support research activities in the college, significant contribution may be recognised in research output, e.g. by acknowledgement or co-authorship on research articles
- Participating in laboratory classes supporting faculty and students
- Any other duties as assigned by the Head of Laboratories and faculty
- Degree in Science (Biological Sciences or Life Sciences preferred)
- Candidates with relevant postgraduate qualifications would have an advantage
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant managerial experience in a research laboratory setting
- Familiarity with managing aquatic life laboratories is required. Candidates with experience or interest in behavioural studies of aquatic animals, coral reef ecology or marine microbial ecology are preferred
- Extensive knowledge and experience in application of molecular biology to aquatic organisms is required. This should include amplicon sequencing, shotgun metagenomic sequencing and “omics” work including RNA-seq analysis. The successful candidate will also be proficient in analytical skills using Python and/or R
- Demonstration of research expertise with at least 1 first author research article publication.
- Strong troubleshooting and analytical skills
- Resourceful, independent and able to learn fast
- Meticulous in record and inventory keeping with excellent organizational skills
- Proficient in MS Office applications (e.g. Word and Excel)
Yale-NUS College achieves excellence through the diversity of its students, faculty, and staff and by embracing inclusivity, equity, and global engagement. We encourage applications by diverse individuals with a demonstrated commitment to continually support these values.
To apply, please submit your resume and cover letter to email@example.com.
I understand that by sharing my personal data with Yale-NUS College, I authorise its use for the purposes of this application.
If you have any queries, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Only shortlisted candidates will be notified.