What You Need in Your Application
Checklist of What You Need
As you start preparing your application to Yale-NUS, please refer closely to this checklist of documents and materials that we require from freshmen applicants:
- Yale-NUS Application / Common Application / Shared Yale Application. This application includes personal information, co-curricular achievements, short answers and 2 personal essays.
- Transcripts or Academic Reports from a school official/counselor from the last three years in school. We understand that at the point of application, some applicants may only be able to submit predicted scores or preliminary grades.
- Two teacher recommendation letters from instructors who taught the applicant in academic subjects. When you fill out the application form, you will be asked to provide an email address for each of your teachers/school official/counselor. They will then be sent an email request to complete an online recommendation form for you.
- Standardized Tests:
- Applicants schooled in Singapore or in countries that do not offer the SAT, such as China, do not have to submit standardized tests as part of their application
- All other applicants must submit the SAT and two SAT II Subject Tests, or the ACT
- All students may, of course, submit standardized tests to bolster their application if desired
- Yale-NUS’ CEEB code is 7003 for the SAT and 5482 for the ACT.
- English language testing scores: Not all international applicants need to take an English proficiency test such as TOEFL, IELTS, and PTE. But we do expect our Yale-NUS students to be able to understand rapid, idiomatic English and to express themselves easily in both spoken and written English. If English is not your first language, please see our Standardized Testing page for information about language proficiency requirements at Yale-NUS.
- Updated academic credentials after time of application. This update should be submitted only if applicants receive new grades in the middle of the school year or as soon as A-level examinations results are available. Many applicants do not need to send us this form.
Optional documents include:
- A scanned copy of the front and back of your NRIC (for Singapore citizens or Singapore PRs) OR the particulars page of your passport (for international applicants).
How to Submit Your Application Materials
While we strongly prefer that all materials reach us before the application deadline, we understand that it may not be possible in some cases for teachers and counselors to meet our deadlines, and we will make reasonable allowances for late school documents. However, it is your responsibility to follow up closely with your teacher/counselor to ensure that they submit materials in a timely manner. Please click here to view some important deadlines you should keep in mind.